The information below is from the 19/20 snow season.
Learning to Ski or Snowboard
Our Parallel from the Start package (PFS) is designed with instruction techniques and rental equipment specifically for making your first turns (and future ones) the best they can be. One simple package includes your 90-minute lesson, beginner-specific rentals, and a lower mountain lift ticket. It’s affordable and easy – LEARN TO SKI or RIDE!
Gearing up for your first time on the slopes? Check out these topics below for pointers that will best prepare you for your on-snow adventures.
Dress for Winter!
Remember that temperatures vary at different times of the day and on different mountain areas, and you might be outside longer than you planned. Check our daily snow report for our current weather forecast, conditions, and more! Here is a list of things you’ll need:
- several non-cotton layers – long underwear or other synthetic base layers, fleece jacket or wool sweater mid-layer
- ski/snowboard socks – poly-pro or wool (non-cotton), put these on just before your ski/snowboard boots
- wind and water-repellent outer layers
- warm mittens or gloves
- face/neckwarmer – on days when temps are below freezing, be sure to protect your face and cover any exposed skin
- helmet or hat – both keep your head warm, but helmets also protect your head from any sort of impact- helmets are required for lesson program participants ages 17 & under- visit LidsOnKids.org to learn more about helmets and snow sports safety!
- goggles – protect your eyes and keep them warm
- sunscreen – although there are less direct UV rays, these rays are reflected by the sun and can easily cause sunburn
Helpful Hint: Wait until after you get your rental equipment and are ready to go outside before you put on your final layers. If you happen to forget something, our Retail Shop is likely to have what you need.
Use the right equipment.
Avoid borrowing equipment from your friends or family that could be outdated, unsafe, or not sized correctly for you. Rent equipment that is suited for your needs. Our Rental Shop, located in the Northwoods Lodge, has the latest technology in beginner equipment, and we keep it tuned and maintained. We’ll help you find the right gear.
Before you hit the slopes…
Get a good night’s sleep, stay hydrated and take time to eat a good breakfast. Skiing and riding require a lot of energy and a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast can really make the difference. Also, grab a trail map – pick one up at the Snow Sports Desk, in the Rental Shop, or at any on-mountain ticketing location.
All items must be paid in full at the time of purchase. All reservations are final and non-refundable if canceled within 72 hours of the program start date. Reservations canceled more than 72 hours before the start date will be refunded minus a 15% cancellation fee, or you may choose to receive the full value of your program credited towards the same program on another day. Credits are valid for 1 year from the date of cancellation.
You will receive the program check-in time and location in your confirmation email. Programs are in session every day the Snow Sports School is open, regardless of weather conditions. During inclement weather, we will take indoor breaks as necessary.