The information below is from the 20/21 snow season.
Our programs will get you started right designed with instruction techniques and rental equipment specifically for making your first turns the best they can be. One simple package includes your 90-minute lesson, beginner-specific rentals, and a lower mountain lift ticket. It’s affordable and easy – LEARN TO SKI or RIDE!
Lessons times are 10–11:30am daily, with an additional session offered 11am-12:30pm on Saturday, Sunday, and during peak (holiday) periods. Plan to arrive at least 45 minutes early to acquire your equipment and enjoy the fresh mountain air.
IMPORTANT HEALTH INFORMATION:
- We require those taking lessons to complete a health screening before they arrive on site.
- This screening must be completed by 7:30am the morning of your lesson.
- One screening is required per person, not per party.
Complete your screening here.
OPERATIONAL UPDATES & OTHER INFO:
- All students must check in at the tent located outside of the Northwoods Lodge to confirm their health screening.
- If you have secured rentals, it is recommended that you arrive at least 45 minutes prior to the lesson start time to ensure a prompt start.
- Those taking lessons may ride the lifts together, provided that the required health screenings for both the instructor and all students have been completed.
- All instructors and students must wear masks at all times while in lessons. Masks cannot be pulled down while physically skiing or riding then pulled back up over the nose and mouth when regrouping.
We are making important changes around the mountain to keep your experience as safe and enjoyable as possible. Please Know Before You Go – read more about our health and safety guidelines.
Gearing up for your first time on the slopes? Check out these topics below for pointers that will best prepare you for your on-snow adventures.
Dress for Winter!
Remember that temperatures vary at different times of the day and on different mountain areas, and you might be outside longer than you planned. Check our daily snow report for our current weather forecast, conditions, and more! Here is a list of things you’ll need:
- several non-cotton layers – long underwear or other synthetic base layers, fleece jacket or wool sweater mid-layer
- ski/snowboard socks – poly-pro or wool (non-cotton), put these on just before your ski/snowboard boots
- wind and water-repellent outer layers
- warm mittens or gloves
- face/neckwarmer – on days when temps are below freezing, be sure to protect your face and cover any exposed skin
- helmet or hat – both keep your head warm, but helmets also protect your head from any sort of impact- helmets are required for lesson program participants ages 17 & under- visit LidsOnKids.org to learn more about helmets and snow sports safety!
- goggles – protect your eyes and keep them warm
- sunscreen – although there are less direct UV rays, these rays are reflected by the sun and can easily cause sunburn
Helpful Hint: Wait until after you get your rental equipment and are ready to go outside before you put on your final layers. If you happen to forget something, our Retail Shop is likely to have what you need.
Use the right equipment.
Avoid borrowing equipment from your friends or family that could be outdated, unsafe, or not sized correctly for you. Rent equipment that is suited for your needs. Our Rental Shop, located in the Northwoods Lodge, has the latest technology in beginner equipment, and we keep it tuned and maintained. We’ll help you find the right gear.
Before you hit the slopes…
Get a good night’s sleep, stay hydrated, and take time to eat a good breakfast. Skiing and riding require a lot of energy and a good night’s sleep and a hearty breakfast can really make the difference. Also, grab a trail map – pick one up at the Snow Sports Desk, in the Rental Shop, or at any on-mountain ticketing location.